Subject: Re: Tell me again why we want floppy images?
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@costello.cnf.cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/18/2001 16:51:31
On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> > my test I guess the real situation is that we don't support the
> > floppy drive directly, but ofwboot can access the drive with OF, and
> > we *do* support the filesystem format?
>
> I think the FAQ probably says that we don't support the floppy drive
> in any Mac under NetBSD, which is totally true, as we have no driver
> for any version of the swim chips.

I guess I ought to reword that section.  I hadn't personally tried booting
from MS-DOS formatted partitions, but I had several reports that
ofwboot.xcf couldn't find a kernel located on an MS-DOS partition.  That's
what the FAQ is supposed to be saying.

Apparently, just as how kernels on HFS work now, it works with kernels on
MS-DOS.

But, yes, the "floppies are unsupported" does imply that NetBSD/macppc
can't write to an MS-DOS formatted floppy.

  -- MW