Subject: Re: New floppy writing weirdness.
To: caportel <caportel@terra.com.br>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/17/2001 10:03:00
On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 12:22:24PM -0300, caportel wrote:
> Disk Copy analyses if it is a HFS filesystem. I have several HFS images
> smaller than 600 k and the program recognizes them (minimum 799 blocks of
> 512 bytes).

No, it really doesn't.

It *might* be trying to grok the first few bytes to try to match
things up, but it would appear that all it actually checks is the
file type and creator, as changing these makes Disk Copy 6 happy to
write non-HFS floppies under MacOS <9. (As of MacOS 9, it would seem
that the operating system either alters the file type and creator
for you or tells Disk Copy not to care. Is DC linking against some
shared library that System or Finder provides? Perhaps.)

If the file size doesn't match up with an expected floppy size,
though, it borks. (Recall that floppies do come in a variety of
sizes, both smaller and larger than 1.44KB.)

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net