Subject: Re: ThunderLAN does not recognize media type; unable to TX/RX
To: Paulo Afonso Graner Fessel <pafessel@terra.com.br>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/12/2001 21:52:27
On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 11:57:25AM -0300, Paulo Afonso Graner Fessel wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm trying to use a Performa 6360 as a firewall. After going into some
> frustration with Linux, I've decided to give NetBSD a try.
>
> The 6360 has only one PCI slot available; OTOH, I had the chance to buy
> a Compaq Netelligent Dual board by a very reasonable price; this way I'd
> be able to use the 6360 as a router/firewall.
>
> The problem is: NetBSD does find the board, but appears not to be sure
> about what PHY it should use. Here's an excerpt of the boot log:
>
> pchb0 at pci0 dev 11 function
> 0
> pchb0: Apple Computer Bandit Host-PCI Bridge (rev.
> 0x03)
> ppb0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0: IBM 82351 PCI-PCI Bridge (rev.
> 0x01)
> pci1 at ppb0 bus
> 1
> pci1: i/o space, memory space
> enabled
> tl0 at pci1 dev 0 function
> 0
> tl0: Compaq Dual Port Netelligent 10/100
> TX
> tl0: Ethernet address
> 00:80:5f:a7:b2:3f
> tl0: interrupting at irq
> 23
> ukphy0 at tl0 phy 1: Generic IEEE 802.3u media
> interface
> ukphy0: DP83840 10/100 media interface (OUI 0x1000e8, model 0x0000),
> rev. 1
> ukphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX,
> auto
> tlphy0 at tl0 phy 31: ThunderLAN 10baseT media interface, rev.
> 5
> tlphy0:
> 10base5
> tl1 at pci1 dev 1 function
> 0
> tl1: Compaq Dual Port Netelligent 10/100
> TX
> tl1: Ethernet address
> 00:80:5f:a7:b2:bf
> tl1: interrupting at irq
> 23
> ukphy1 at tl1 phy 1: Generic IEEE 802.3u media
> interface
> ukphy1: DP83840 10/100 media interface (OUI 0x1000e8, model 0x0000),
> rev. 1
> ukphy1: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX,
> auto
> tlphy1 at tl1 phy 31: ThunderLAN 10baseT media interface, rev.
> 5
> tlphy1: 10base5
>
> Seems that the PHY being used is tlphy, right? But if I compile NetBSD

Yes, and this is perfectly fine. Some of the netelligent boards have 2
PHY (in fact you can have up to 32 PHY on the MII bus).
You can select which PHY you want to use with the 'instance' keyword of
ifconfig.

> Also, when I use the ukphy I get even a link, as ifconfig -a reports
> (only tl0 is attached to my hub):
>
> tl0: flags=8822<BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
> 1500
>         address:
> 00:80:5f:a7:b2:3f
>         media: Ethernet autoselect
> (10baseT)
>         status:
> active
> tl1: flags=8822<BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
> 1500
>         address:
> 00:80:5f:a7:b2:bf
>         media: Ethernet autoselect
> (none)
>         status: no
> carrier
> lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu
> 33220
>         inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
>
> But as soon as I try to ifconfig tl0 up I get these messages and the
> link goes down:
>
> Jul 12 10:26:18 performa /netbsd: tl0: check condition,
> intvect=0x200000, ch_par
> am=0x180005
> Jul 12 10:26:24 performa last message repeated 11 times
> Jul 12 10:26:24 performa /netbsd: tl0: device timeout
>
> I've found now that the PHY of this board is a NS83840 chip, but I still
> get some strange messages in the log and the board does not work,
> exactly as before.

Well, it's possible that this driver has some endian issue. Also it doesn't
properly uses bus-dma.
Give me a few days and I'll try to look at this (I just got a brand new
Ultra/5 on which I'll be able to test my PCI drivers :)

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>