Subject: Re: Random hangs with Xmacppc?
To: Dan Winship <danw@ximian.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/11/2001 12:59:50
On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 06:25:00PM +0500, Dan Winship wrote:
> I've seen it on my Blue G3 too (OF 3.x). So it doesn't depend on OF
> version.

Yech. Guess I'll do some playing with a different motherboard here
before I lug one up to NYC and find out it doesn't actually fix my
problem.

> I had a kernel once that I used for 4 months or so and never saw the
> bug. But the kernels before and after that would hang fairly reliably.

Hrm. Any thoughts and what options were or weren't in that kernel?
Or was it code changes, you think? Any idea of the source date?

It'd be nice to track this down and file a PR on it.

> It can also happen when you open a new file type for the first time in
> emacs (forcing it to figure out the syntax highlighting for a new major
> mode). It is definitely in the colormap code. The kernel gets lost
> inside the call to OF_call_method_1 from ofb_putcmap.

Wouldn't know. I don't touch emacs with a ten foot FIFO. But I'll
take your word for it. ;^>

Do you know if there's any way to provoke the problem and get a
useful crash dump out of it? Or, at least, a ddb prompt?

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net