Subject: Re: Beige G3 - OF 2.4 - can it be done?
To: None <mw@blobulent.com>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/11/2001 08:31:23
>At 8:42 AM -0500 7/10/01, Donald Lee wrote:
>
>:)>	That's because you can't boot HFS on old world machines. It only
>:)>knows how to load from ISO-9660 an MS-DOS floppy (which won't work on your
>:)>machine) or the raw disk (`boot ide0/@0:0')
>:)
>:)This is at variance with some of the information on MW's docs,
>:)which sometimes groups OF 2.4 with the OF 3 machines.
>
>That's because I base my docs on what people post here -- I have no direct
>experience with any OF 2.0.x or 2.4 machines, only 1.0.5 and 3.  Various
>people have claimed that OF 2.4 supports booting from HFS partitions, but
>not floppies, so that's what I put in the docs.
>
>If it's wrong, please tell me.
>
>  -- MW

My apologies if it sounds like I am casting aspersions.  This is not
my intent.

I have some notes about the docs where they look inconsistent, but I have
been hesitant to suggest changes because I could not be sure that I was
not simply being dense and doing something wrong.

I will write up what I have and send it in.

I am basing my comments on the most recent version of the 1.5.1 install
notes posted to this list 5/14/01.  Is there anything more recent?

-dgl-