Subject: Re: 1.5.1 questions
To: JHS <jeff@omnia.praeclara.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/10/2001 16:02:53
On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, JHS wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 10, 2001, at 02:10 PM, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 02:01:30PM -0500, JHS wrote:
> >> The problem is that after my second boot (the first boot dropped me to
> >> single-user mode and edited rc.conf--all I added to rc.conf was
> >> configured=YES).  Then I rebooted.
> >> And it stops here:
> >>
> >> Jul 10 06:28:03 althea getty[183]: /dev/ttyE0: Device not configured

No video...

> >> I waited an hour and nothing happened.  Any thoughts on how to fix
> >> this?

The machine was up. You just had no way to make it do anything. :-)

> > Either start using the console by changing to kbd and screen (or
> > /chaos/control, or whatever) for input and output in OF or comment
> > the ttyE0 line in /etc/ttys.
>
> Thanks for the reply, Gabriel.
> I have to use a serial console because the built-in video is not
> supported.
> So I commented out that line in /etc/ttys
>
> Now I still get stuck:
> Starting inetd.
> Starting cron.
> Tue Jul 10 07:17:48 PDT 2001

Sounds like the line for tty00 (or tty01 if you're on the printer port) is
not on.

> And it just freezes there.  it's not really frozen:  I can type 'Return'
> and it does.
> But nothing further happens.

I suspect that if you had sshd running or telnet or ftp or any other
internet service running (and the network configured) you would find the
machine is up. :-)

> Any other ideas?

Take care,

Bill