Subject: Re: 1.5.1 questions
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: JHS <jeff@omnia.praeclara.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/10/2001 14:22:43
--Apple-Mail-1046546413-1

On Tuesday, July 10, 2001, at 02:10 PM, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 02:01:30PM -0500, JHS wrote:
>> The problem is that after my second boot (the first boot dropped me to
>> single-user mode and edited rc.conf--all I added to rc.conf was
>> configured=YES).  Then I rebooted.
>> And it stops here:
>>
>> Jul 10 06:28:03 althea getty[183]: /dev/ttyE0: Device not configured
>>
>> I waited an hour and nothing happened.  Any thoughts on how to fix
>> this?
>
> Either start using the console by changing to kbd and screen (or
> /chaos/control, or whatever) for input and output in OF or comment
> the ttyE0 line in /etc/ttys.

Thanks for the reply, Gabriel.
I have to use a serial console because the built-in video is not
supported.
So I commented out that line in /etc/ttys

Now I still get stuck:
Starting inetd.
Starting cron.
Tue Jul 10 07:17:48 PDT 2001

And it just freezes there.  it's not really frozen:  I can type 'Return'
and it does.
But nothing further happens.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeffrey P. Hergan, Ph.D.
Adjunct Professor of Philosophy
Saint Xavier University
Chicago

>> I imagine that the fix will involve booting into single user mode.  But
>> how does
>> one accomplish that from the OF prompt?
>
> boot -s
>
> (Any arguments given to OF's boot command are passed to the next
> stage bootloader and so forth.)
>
> --
>        ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

--Apple-Mail-1046546413-1

<excerpt>The problem is that after my second boot (the first boot
dropped me to

single-user mode and edited rc.conf--all I added to rc.conf was

configured=YES).  Then I rebooted.

And it stops here:

Jul 10 06:28:03 althea getty[183]: /dev/ttyE0: Device not configured

I waited an hour and nothing happened.  Any thoughts on how to fix
this?

</excerpt>

[...]

</color><excerpt>

<excerpt>I imagine that the fix will involve booting into single user
mode.  But

how does

one accomplish that from the OF prompt?

</excerpt>

boot -s

(Any arguments given to OF's boot command are passed to the next

stage bootloader and so forth.)

--

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

</excerpt>