Subject: RE: ofwboot.elf
To: Hayden, Bill <BHayden@Exchange.WebMD.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/10/2001 10:24:24
On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Hayden, Bill wrote:

: > (Of course, the long term solution is to switch to a booter
: > like BootX that
: > can boot on everything and bypass the need to go to OFW and type in
: > commands.)
:
: Just for the record, which BootX are you talking about?  There has been
: preliminary work to get Apple's BootX booting NetBSD,

That's the one.

: which has currently reached a sticking point due to the fact that NetBSD
: continues to use the OF console after boot.

If, by "continues to use the OF console," you mean "uses the OF console for
printf() and keyboard interaction", that is relatively simple to fix (just
code tedium, mainly).  The Shark port, for instance, starts from OFW on ARM,
but buffers kernel messages until the "pc0" console starts up -- at which
point, all the messages get dumped to that console.

However, if you mean "uses the OF callbacks to get system hardware info,"
and BootX doesn't allow that, I guess we're screwed.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/