Subject: Re: Power Mac Upgrade Cards
To: samuel rose <samuel.rose@voyager.net>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/10/2001 08:56:46
I have to add a couple of notes on this from my experience.  I am running
a Sonnet 300 Mhz G3 in a PowerComputing PowerCenter 132.  Works fine, with
two caveats. (mercy.icompute.com - web server)

One, the OF has some properties that are picked up by the kernel to figure
out how fast the CPU is running, and it then uses that info to set up the
NetBSD clock(s).  ("timebase-frequency")  On my machine, this was wrong
(both pre and post upgrade card) and this caused the NetBSD time of
day clock to be off by about 3% (as I recall).  This was too much for
ntpd to tolerate and ntpd would refuse to try to adjust the clock.
I had to put some extra stuff
in the OF boot command to change the value of this property to get the
clock to run closely enough to correctly so that ntpd would work.

I'm not sure if the upgrade CPU card somehow brings new "timebase-frequency"
values along with the card, but when I put in the new card, it did not
fix this problem.  I had to re-calculate the "correct"
value so ntpd would work.

Second, the backside cache is not enabled by default.  If you want this,
you'll have to build your own kernel with some variables set.
I don't remember off hand what they were.

-dgl-