Subject: Re: Beige G3 - OF 2.4 - can it be done?
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Donald Lee <donlee@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/10/2001 08:42:57
>> I have a beige G3 w/ OF 2.4 that I have yet to get booting with any
>> flavor of NetBSD.  My OF 1.0.5 machines and my B&W G3 (OF 3) boot fine.
>> The only way I have managed to boot the OF 2.4 machine is to swap
>> out the ROM stick for an older (OF 2.0.1) boot ROM.
>
>	Out of curiosity, does the machine actually report OF 2.0f1 or
>2.0.1 when you enter OFW after changing the ROM DIMM?

2.0f1

>[snip]
>> It appears that regardless of what I try, booting from HFS/IDE, HFS/SCSI,
>> CD, netboot, or floppy, nothing gets very far.  I've done best
>
>	That's because you can't boot HFS on old world machines. It only
>knows how to load from ISO-9660 an MS-DOS floppy (which won't work on your
>machine) or the raw disk (`boot ide0/@0:0')

This is at variance with some of the information on MW's docs,
which sometimes groups OF 2.4 with the OF 3 machines.

>> with the netboot, where it finds the ofwboot.xcf and then dies with
>> CLAIM FAILED.
>
>	What's your LOAD-BASE and REAL-BASE set to, and are you using a
>new version of ofwboot.xcf. For a while there was an old copy that was
>compiled to load at an incorrect address when netbooting. Load should be
>600000 and real should be F00000. Then reset-all to make sure the changes
>go into effect. Getting netboots to work correctly on old world machines
>has been known to cause you to pull your hair out.

Yup.  load-base is 600000, and real-base is f00000, and reset-all
with auto-boot? false (so I don't accidentally end up in MacOS)

>> My question: I'm reading on this list that OF 2.4 can be made to behave.
>> Is this verifiably true?  I have gotten indications in the past that this
>> machine may be hopeless, but recent list traffic indicates that it can
>> be made to work.
>
>	Yes. Have you tried using system disk or new versions of Startup
>Disk that patch OFW?

Yes.  I've tried system disk 2.3.1 and 2.6.2.  Same behavior.

>	With the Rev B ROM DIMM in my Rev 1 Beige G3 desktop, I can
>consistently boot from SCSI, IDE, and floppy.

I don't know what you mean by "Rev B".  My understanding of the revisions
is that there was a rev A and rev B, but that does not correspond with the
OF versions, where the OF 2.4 machines were a subset of the rev B machines.
If yours comes up with OF 2.4,
then I'd really like to know exactly how you did it.  I'd be happy to know
that I'm simply messing up the syntax or something.

-dgl-