Subject: Re: Booting new laptops (Was Re: OF boot string (Re: 1.5.1_BETA2 on iBook2))
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/09/2001 18:39:14
abs@netbsd.org

>On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Bob Nestor wrote:
>
>> If you're really curious about the way your disk is organized and what
>> the partition numbers are you can use the "V" option in the version of
>> pdisk that I modified for NetBSD.  It also has the ability to set and
>> display the A/UX partition flags.  The latest version should fix the
>> problem about not being able to access the IDE Master drive too and can
>> be found at:
>>
>>    ftp://murphy.dyndns.org/pub/map/pdisk.sea.hqx
>>
>> There are both 68k and ppc executables in the file along with the
>> modified sources. I'd be happy to post it on the NetBSD site if people
>> think it's worthwhile.
>
>	Sounds like a good idea - plus an entry in the macppc and mac68k
>	FAQ...
>
>	Any chance of a pkgsrc entry for the netbsd native part? :)

Unfortunately there isn't a netbsd native part.  I haven't converted the
Linux driver code so that it can be run under NetBSD; all I converted was
the MacOS side.  It was only intended to be a stop-gap utility to help
get users running NetBSD or to recover from some Disk Partition Map
snafus we've seen in the past.  :(

I'll upload the file into:
     arch/mac68k/installation/misc/pdisk.sea.hqx
     arch/macppc/macos-utils/pdisk.sea.hqx

The file contains executables for both 68k and ppc, all the sources and
original documentation.

-bob