Subject: Re: Beige G3 - OF 2.4 - can it be done?
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/09/2001 13:25:00
On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Chris Tribo wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Donald Lee wrote:
>
> > I have a beige G3 w/ OF 2.4 that I have yet to get booting with any
> > flavor of NetBSD.  My OF 1.0.5 machines and my B&W G3 (OF 3) boot fine.
> > The only way I have managed to boot the OF 2.4 machine is to swap
> > out the ROM stick for an older (OF 2.0.1) boot ROM.
>
> 	Out of curiosity, does the machine actually report OF 2.0f1 or
> 2.0.1 when you enter OFW after changing the ROM DIMM? I'm beginning to
> suspect that OFW is actually stored somewhere else on the board instead of
> on the ROM DIMM. While the ROM DIMM contains the MacOS ROM *only*. I
> believe that the ROM DIMM boots the system, initializes devices to some
> primitive state, and then passes control to OFW, which then loads what you
> tell it to. BTW, there are also three different ROM DIMMs known for the
> Beige G3. Search in http://www.macsales.com in the support area and you
> should be able to find pictures and descriptions of each of the chips.
>
> > It appears that regardless of what I try, booting from HFS/IDE, HFS/SCSI,
> > CD, netboot, or floppy, nothing gets very far.  I've done best
>
> 	That's because you can't boot HFS on old world machines. It only
> knows how to load from ISO-9660 an MS-DOS floppy (which won't work on your
> machine) or the raw disk (`boot ide0/@0:0')

It's got to know something else. MacOS X on my system set the boot string
to boot ...@0:8, where partition 8 was the one that had macOS X on
it. That didn't work on my system, unfortunatly...

> > with the netboot, where it finds the ofwboot.xcf and then dies with
> > CLAIM FAILED.
>
> 	What's your LOAD-BASE and REAL-BASE set to, and are you using a
> new version of ofwboot.xcf. For a while there was an old copy that was
> compiled to load at an incorrect address when netbooting. Load should be
> 600000 and real should be F00000. Then reset-all to make sure the changes
> go into effect. Getting netboots to work correctly on old world machines
> has been known to cause you to pull your hair out.

All you have to do is set LOAD-BASE to something other than what it's
supposed to be for netbooting to work. ofwboot.xcf is set to load at
600000, and it works (netboot) for me w/ LOAD-BASE at 640000.

> > My question: I'm reading on this list that OF 2.4 can be made to behave.
> > Is this verifiably true?  I have gotten indications in the past that this
> > machine may be hopeless, but recent list traffic indicates that it can
> > be made to work.
>
> 	Yes. Have you tried using system disk or new versions of Startup
> Disk that patch OFW?

Which versions are these?

Take care,

Bill