Subject: Re: Power Mac Upgrade Cards
To: samuel rose <samuel.rose@voyager.net>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/09/2001 17:24:03
On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 05:14:51PM -0400, samuel rose wrote:
> Can anyone please point me toward some documentation that shows which G3/G4 upgrades are supported under netBSD?
>
> I am looking to possbly upgrade a ppc 7500, and a B&W G3, and a PowerBook G3.

If OpenFirmware recognizes them, they should work, so far as I know.

As long as we see a chip we support--and we support both the G3 and
the G4--hanging the OF device chain somewhere we can recognize it
and call it cpu0, everything works.

For what it's worth, I'm using an XLR8 G3 card in my 7500
motherboard. Don't recall which model exactly, and I'm in a
different state than the documentation (and the computer, for that
matter) right now. It's maybe a moot point, since XLR8 went out of
business not too long ago.

Basically, if the card will run MacOS, you're probably safe.

Should this be in the FAQ too, Michael? (As a reassurance kind of
thing?)

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net