Subject: RE: GCC>3.0 NetBSD/PPC support
To: 'xavier@xavhome.fr.eu.org' <xavier@xavhome.fr.eu.org>
From: Hayden, Bill <BHayden@Exchange.WebMD.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/09/2001 13:29:44
> >Unless somone screams I'm going to try to get the attached
> merged into
> >the GCC>3.0 tree.
>
> Well, I surely won't scream .... but : it is a very known
> fact that the
> PowerPC back-end in gcc is not highly optimised. A friend of mine made
> benches between gcc, Metrowerks, and MrC, it was obvious. Not
> to mention
> the pityful performances in the kernel, as well as in the userland of
> Drawin aka MacOS X. (Please, Manu, don't feed my troll ;-)

If you have problems with the PPC back-end, or are doing any PPC-specific
gcc development at all, you will certainly want to coordinate with Stan
Shebs [shebs@apple.com].  His job at Apple is to make sure the gcc for PPC
compiler is up-to-snuff, and he's been doing loads of work in getting gcc
3.0 usable on PPC.  Granted, he has a Darwin-centric view (seeing as Apple
pays him), but with the notable exception of Mach-O, there is certain to be
plenty of overlap between NetBSD/PPC and Darwin/PPC when it comes to code
generation.

Bill Hayden