Subject: Re: GCC>3.0 NetBSD/PPC support
To: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com>
From: Xavier HUMBERT <xavier@xavhome.fr.eu.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/09/2001 18:58:01
In message <3B49BB2B.8070603@cygnus.com>,
Andrew Cagney wrote:

>Unless somone screams I'm going to try to get the attached merged into
>the GCC>3.0 tree.

Well, I surely won't scream .... but : it is a very known fact that the
PowerPC back-end in gcc is not highly optimised. A friend of mine made
benches between gcc, Metrowerks, and MrC, it was obvious. Not to mention
the pityful performances in the kernel, as well as in the userland of
Drawin aka MacOS X. (Please, Manu, don't feed my troll ;-)

So, the point is : what is new in gcc 3 ? A new front end, or a better
back end ? I've too little knoledge in compiler design to infer
anything from the diff you posted.

Considering that, though beeing kinda standard in open source, gcc has
a lot of non-ansi extensions, that makes porting code from gcc a pain,
as an ordinary programmer I don't need brand new pragmas or weird
declarative statements none else uses.

I need robust, bug free, back-end, and an efficien optimizer.

I'm curious about core tools guru's opinion about it.

Thanks for explanation, and sure, thanks for the work !

Regards,

--
Xavier HUMBERT  -  Systemes et Reseaux     |     labo-info@injep.fr
INJEP                                      |     humbert@injep.fr