Subject: pmap_growkernel
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Girard <acheon@usa.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/06/2001 14:29:24
Hi,

There is a way to toggle a mechanism that dynamically enlarges virtual
address space when we run out of pages ; we just define PMAP_GROWKERNEL.
A function of the same name is being defined in <arch>/<arch>/pmap.c.
However, it is not present for every platform. I especially noticed it
isn't defined for any PowerPC platform, in fact.

Now I wonder :

=3D>Why isn't this feature available for the PowerPC ? (or am I wrong ?)

=3D>Would the machdep code be difficult to port from another platform ?

=3D>Is there a workaround to this feature, just in case ?

I ask because I use a process with a lot of nondiscardable allocated
memory and I quickly run out of available pages ; then the kernel
immediately panics.

--Martin