Subject: Re: Booting new laptops (Was Re: OF boot string (Re: 1.5.1_BETA2 on iBook2))
To: None <mw@blobulent.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/06/2001 12:48:27
Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com> writes:

> Try n >= 10.  Like the instructions say, MacOS drivers often take up to the
> first 8 partitions.  That's why some examples explicitly list 10 and 12,
> just as a reminder.

Okay. I've now tried up to 39 with no success in that syntax. What
does "partition" mean in this context, anyway? Is it the same thing
that I created when I used Drive Setup to repartition my disk for
MacOS and NetBSD, or something else?

Also, I still believe that 0 is correct. Booting with
"hd:,ofwboot.xcf blah" produces:

"open /pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@@1f00/disk@0:0/blah: Inappropriate..."
                                                 ^
> Yes, I had thought the instructions are clear.  Could you re-read them and
> give me suggestions on how to reword it?  Just to be clear:  ofwboot.xcf
> *can* load the kernel from inside boot.fs from an HFS partition, *but* you
> must specify the partition number of boot.fs.  ofwboot.xcf *can* load any
> kernel on an HFS partition, *but* it must be on the same partition as
> ofwboot.xcf *and* you must not specify the partition number.

Ah.

I don't see anything in the install notes that talks about the
requirement for the disk/partition syntax for boot.fs. It does mention
both syntaxes, but only says that you need the explicit syntax when
the file to boot is on a different partition - clearly not the case
here, since ofwboot.xcf and boot.fs were located on the same partition.

"Boot the bootloader and tell it to look for the kernel in the boot
floppy image" is the only relevant text.

> That's because iBook (Dual USB) support was added after the BETA2 snapshot
> was made.  The port-master has made sure that support will be in the 1.5.1
> release (hopefully next week).

Hm. Okay. I should check my CVS timestamps more carefully, I guess.

        - Nathan