Subject: Re: Booting new laptops (Was Re: OF boot string (Re: 1.5.1_BETA2 on iBook2))
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/04/2001 15:28:18
gr@eclipsed.net

>> Ah, I did indeed speak too fast.  I keep forgetting about the B&W G3
>> breakage.  I've got some of Bob's messages describing the
>> symptoms/workarounds that I need to integrate into the webpages/INSTALL
>> notes.
>
>But that's actually USB breakage, not ADB breakage? Or not?

I think it's both, at least that's what I see.  The ADB works thru the
boot prompt but hangs when the system takes control to go single or
multi-user.  Then if the USB keyboard is plugged in it works.  The USB
works thru the boot prompt but won't work when the system goes single or
multi-user; the only way it works is when it's plugged in _after_ the
boot prompt sequence.

So the work-around I've found for the early B&W G3 is to boot up with
only the ADB plugged in, diconnect the ADB and connect the USB when the
login prompt (or single user prompt) appears.  At this point the USB is
usable and the system is operational.

Obviously this doesn't work on systems like the iMac because it doesn't
have ADB capability.

-bob