Subject: Re: Booting new laptops (Was Re: OF boot string (Re: 1.5.1_BETA2
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/04/2001 12:57:20
At 3:26 PM -0400 7/4/01, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

:)On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 11:05:23AM -0700, Michael Wolfson wrote:
:)> The procedure in INSTALL will work on all supported models, including
:)> PowerBook (FireWire), PowerBook G4 (Titanium), iBook, iBook SE, iBook (Dual
:)                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:)Presuming you haven't updated your firmware with Apple's 4.1.7 or
:)4.1.8 OF patch.

Right, although that sounds like it's within our power to fix.  Can anyone
give me an accurate description of the symptoms so I can add it to the
"Help, I can't boot NetBSD!" part of the FAQ?

:)Is it only the tiBook where we have these problems, or does that
:)firmware version cause problems for desktop G4s too?

I have only heard reports of problems on the PowerBook G4 (Titanium).  I
know it's not a problem on the iMac and PowerMac models.  I've been a
little hesitant to upgrade my PowerBook (FireWire) to test it, since I need
to use my PowerBook for testing various things I add to the docs.  If
anyone has info on other models that fail, let me know!

:)(It'd be nice if our FAQ were a little more clear about exactly
:)what the deal is with Apple's wacky firmware update scheme.)

Hum.  How would you suggest I reword that section?
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#ofw-version

:)> USB), and presumably iBook (FireWire).
:)> but not 1.5.1_BETA2.  BTW, "iBook (Dual USB)" is Apple's official name for
:)> the new laptop, not "iBook2".
:)
:)So are there one or two different iBooks in the above?

Three.  iBook, iBook SE, iBook (FireWire), and iBook SE (FireWire) are all
clamshell "blueberry", "orange", "lime", and the like.  iBook (Dual USB) is
white (similar to the PowerBook G4 (Titanium).  The names are not quite
unique, although iBook (FireWire) was the first iBook with FireWire, and
iBook (Dual USB) was the first iBook with two USB ports.

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n88039

Apple added that TIL article since the last time I looked for it.  I'm
adding it to the Model Support page now...

:)Is the iBook (Firewire) an old(er) clamshell iBook, but with
:)firewire? (If so, why aren't we calling it the iBook1.5. ;^>)

Because that's not what Apple calls them.  They have a (for the most part)
one-to-one name mapping between models and names.  If we stick with that,
it's easier to uniquely identify a model than if we were to come up with
our own naming scheme (although I agree Apple should use version numbers).

:)Also, ADB really *is* working on all machines now? For sure? Bob
:)Nestor says (on port-mac68k) that it's broken in -current for
:)certain mac68k machines and was wondering if that breakage was
:)releated to the B&W macppc breakage.

Ah, I did indeed speak too fast.  I keep forgetting about the B&W G3
breakage.  I've got some of Bob's messages describing the
symptoms/workarounds that I need to integrate into the webpages/INSTALL
notes.

:)I think all you can do is be noisy in INSTALL itself that it realy
:)does work for the 1.5.1 release, as long as we remember to change
:)that again should the situation change again.

I'd rather be noisy about it here.  My guess is that first-time installers
won't be pre-biased based on old posts to this list, and will instead
depend on the FAQ/INSTALL notes.  Of course, I could be totally wrong.

Thanks for the feedback and reminder about B&W G3 breakage.

  -- MW