Subject: Re: Booting new laptops (Was Re: OF boot string (Re: 1.5.1_BETA2 on iBook2))
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/04/2001 14:51:14
gr@eclipsed.net

>Also, ADB really *is* working on all machines now? For sure? Bob
>Nestor says (on port-mac68k) that it's broken in -current for
>certain mac68k machines and was wondering if that breakage was
>releated to the B&W macppc breakage. Is it, instead, perhaps related
>to the fix for us? (Is ADB support even in the architecture
>independent branch? It really should be... at least next68k can
>probably use the same stuff too, on ADB-based machines, at least.
>And the nebulous, not-yet-extant ppc-without-OF port would be able
>to too.)

There are (or were) problems with ADB and USB on some early model iMacs
and B&W G3s.  I notice the current documentation indicates the problems
with the iMacs is fixed in 1.5.1 and at least one user with an early
model B&W G3 has reported success with 1.5.1.  My system still doesn't
work except with 1.4.3.  It _could_ be my hardware, but this same system
sucessfully boots and runs MacOS 9.1, MacOS X, and YellowDog Linux in
addition to 1.4.3. This leads me to believe the problem is still with the
USB cleanup and wscons changes that were made after 1.4.2 was released.

>> The webpages used to direct users to Makoto-san's instructions during the
>> time when the INSTALL doc didn't describe the correct sequence of events.
>> It does not do so now.  How can I make this clear so users don't make
>> installation more difficult than it needs to be?
>
>I think all you can do is be noisy in INSTALL itself that it realy
>does work for the 1.5.1 release, as long as we remember to change
>that again should the situation change again.
>
>> Makoto-san:  Your instructions were invaluable until a solid ADB driver was
>> implemented (it's how I got my PowerBook (FireWire) initially installed).
>> Right now, I think they may be causing some confusion now that installation
>> on the new laptops is no harder than on other models.  Maybe you could put
>> a note at the top redirecting all but the most masochistic users to the
>> 1.5.1 installation notes?
>
>I'd say that's a good idea.

Agreed, just don't expect it to be all that successful.  Incorrect
information, especially when related to NetBSD installation, lives
forever.   I still see posting on the mac68k port related to installation
problems from the days of 1.1 that were found and fixed long ago. Even
the installation warning about sysinst/mac68k in 1.5.1 is a bit
misleading I think and we'll be fighting that for years to come, but I
recall warning about the dangers of making that statement when it first
came up in 1.5. ;)

-bob