Subject: Re: Booting new laptops (Was Re: OF boot string (Re: 1.5.1_BETA2 on iBook2))
To: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/04/2001 15:26:49
On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 11:05:23AM -0700, Michael Wolfson wrote:
> The procedure in INSTALL will work on all supported models, including
> PowerBook (FireWire), PowerBook G4 (Titanium), iBook, iBook SE, iBook (Dual
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Presuming you haven't updated your firmware with Apple's 4.1.7 or
4.1.8 OF patch.

(Which, apparently, will also get you disappearing RAM if its even
slightly out of tolerance--or just doesn't know how to operate at
CL-3, and, on some machines, make your CD tray eject, even if empty,
on every reboot.)

Is it only the tiBook where we have these problems, or does that
firmware version cause problems for desktop G4s too?

(It'd be nice if our FAQ were a little more clear about exactly
what the deal is with Apple's wacky firmware update scheme.)

> USB), and presumably iBook (FireWire).
> but not 1.5.1_BETA2.  BTW, "iBook (Dual USB)" is Apple's official name for
> the new laptop, not "iBook2".

So are there one or two different iBooks in the above?

The iBook2/iBook (Dual USB) is the new white model, right?

Is the iBook (Firewire) an old(er) clamshell iBook, but with
firewire? (If so, why aren't we calling it the iBook1.5. ;^>)

Also, ADB really *is* working on all machines now? For sure? Bob
Nestor says (on port-mac68k) that it's broken in -current for
certain mac68k machines and was wondering if that breakage was
releated to the B&W macppc breakage. Is it, instead, perhaps related
to the fix for us? (Is ADB support even in the architecture
independent branch? It really should be... at least next68k can
probably use the same stuff too, on ADB-based machines, at least.
And the nebulous, not-yet-extant ppc-without-OF port would be able
to too.)

> The webpages used to direct users to Makoto-san's instructions during the
> time when the INSTALL doc didn't describe the correct sequence of events.
> It does not do so now.  How can I make this clear so users don't make
> installation more difficult than it needs to be?

I think all you can do is be noisy in INSTALL itself that it realy
does work for the 1.5.1 release, as long as we remember to change
that again should the situation change again.

> Makoto-san:  Your instructions were invaluable until a solid ADB driver was
> implemented (it's how I got my PowerBook (FireWire) initially installed).
> Right now, I think they may be causing some confusion now that installation
> on the new laptops is no harder than on other models.  Maybe you could put
> a note at the top redirecting all but the most masochistic users to the
> 1.5.1 installation notes?

I'd say that's a good idea.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net