Subject: PB 1400 port
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Phil Frost <daboy@xgs.dyn.dhs.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/29/2001 15:30:24
I'm hoping to port to my powerbook 1400, and i have a few questions.
I'm a x86 veteran, but just recently aquired this computer and can't
stand not having a command prompt.

1) where can I find documentation on the full boot process of this
computer?

2) where can I find documentation on open firmware? the only refrence
i have found it to IEEE, which isn't exactly open from what I have seen.

3) where can I find documentation on nubus? This one is tough...

4) Does netbsd currently have something like UMDOS, so that I can
install netbsd without trashing mac OS? I have no floppy drive on
this computer, only a network connection :(

5) Does anyone know if there is support in the video hardware for a text
console, or is open freeware required to do that?

6) Are there any ports of unix tools to macintosh? Specificly, development
tools would be helpfull. Also, there is a windows lib called cygwin that
provides a unix environment in windows, is there such a thing for
macintosh? A finder replacement that gave me a unix shell would be way
cool :)

That's it for now, but I'm sure I'll have more questions later...heheh...
Thanks for your help

Phil Frost