Subject: (old thread revived) which of these is supported
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: jeff <jeff@omnia.praeclara.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/27/2001 20:26:43
Michael,
It seems that you asked a few times during the past few months which
of the newer machines is supported.

I have an Early 2001 iMac (Dalmation).
I also have played with NetBSD on an old Performa 6360 and a Powerbook G3
Series (both of which work, more or less, as you know).

Getting the new iMac to boot was easy:

I simply made an ISO 9660 disk with MS-DOS names, containing the
netbsb.ram.gz image and ofwboot.elf.  On the disk they looked like this:
NETBSDRA.GZ
OFWBOOT.ELF

And at the OF prompt I typed:

boot cd:,OFWBOOT.ELF NETBSDRA.GZ

and it booted right into the installer (after decompressing the image).
In fact, I was shocked at how quickly I got it to boot after having such a
hard time (last Summer) on the laptop and the Performa.

But, as I mentioned earlier, it doesn't seem to recognize the existence of
my hard drive at all :-\
I also tried the network setup in the utilities menu and it didn't
recognize the existence of any network either...

Have you heard from anyone who has netbsd running on the newe iMac?

Thanks,
Jeff

PS  I like the improvements in the web site docs since last year.
Much clearer and easier to understand.  :)