Subject: Re: Contradiction?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/25/2001 09:30:25
On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 04:41:33PM +0900, Makoto Fujiwara wrote:
> The boot loader, ofwboot.elf ( or ofwboot.xcf), placed on the HFS or HFS+
> partition may load the installer kernel from HFS or HFS+ in this case.
>
> The correct expression for this issue is:
>
>   Boot loader (ofwboot.elf or ofwboot.xcf) may read the kernel either
> on 4.2BSD or on HFS/HFS+ partition, but the kernel on HFS/HFS+ may not
> be mounted after the kernel starts. That is why usual running kernel
> has be reside on 4.2BSD partition side.

If someone's going to go and change the documentation on this one,
could we word it maybe more like this (no personal insult to Makoto
Fujiwara intended; I'm a native English speaker and I'm presuming he
is not):

  The boot loader (ofwboot.elf or ofwboot.xcf) is capable of reading
  the kernel from either a 4.2BSD or HFS/HFS+ partition, but there is
  no runtime support for mounting HFS/HFS+ partitions. So, booting
  from a kernel on a HFS/HFS+ partition for install will work, but
  the kernel for a running system should reside in a 4.2BSD partition.

Cheers...

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net