Subject: USB keyboard lockup on G3 boot
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Brad Chapman <chapmanb@arches.uga.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/11/2001 21:08:06
Hello all;
I've been working at trying to get NetBSD booting on the following
mac:

Blue and White G3
Open Firmware 3
USB keyboard and mouse, which are recognized as:

ukbd0 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
ukbd0: Alps Electric M2452, rev 1.00/1.01, addr 2

Logitech USB Mouse, class 0/0, rev 1.10/4.00, addr 4, uhub1 port 3 not
configured

I have (happily!) got NetBSD installed and am booting from the
installed system, but am stuck getting through the first ever boot
into the machine. The installation was done on a separate dedicated
hard-drive using the sysinst installer.

First, I run into the problem that the root device
isn't recognized:

can't determined root device
root device (default ahc1):

I'm not worried about this, since I know about the workaround  in the
FAQ and can hopefully fix it without a problem once the system
can boot. As I enter the root filesystem info, I get the following
errors on every keypress:

ohci_intr: ignored interrupt while polling

I saw mentions of this in the archives, but no explanation or
suggestion. But, despite all of the errors, I can enter the
root, swap and filesystem and continue the boot.

The problem comes after this, as I am unable to use the keyboard after
this. Under the default install, the boot will then complain about
/etc/rc.conf not being configured, and will attempt to drop into a
single user shell. When I get the:

Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:

prompt, the keyboard is completely unresponsive. If I go in and
configure rc.conf using the install shell, the boot will continue
until prompted for username and password (soooooo incredibly close!),
but the keyboard will be unresponsive at this point. I can't type
anything or get the keyboard to respond at all.

I have tried both 1.5 and 1.5.1_BETA2 with the same problem, and can
also not seem to solve it with any combination of mechanisms for
plugging in my mouse and keyboard (I have tried both in the back of
the machine, the mouse plugged into the keyboard, without a mouse
plugged in and with them plugged into different ports).

I'm completely stuck (again) here, and was wondering if anyone could
offer any suggestions of anything to try to help finish the boot. I'm
so looking forward to getting this working.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide.
Brad