Subject: Re: powermac 5500/225 installation woes
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/08/2001 09:59:07
On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 05:51:28PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> (remaining probs: don't see anything on the kbd/screen of machine in
>  question.. getty is running on ttyE0, wscons.conf has screen 0 uncommented,
>  wsdisplay0 at ofb0 etc, the other prob is the dodgy dec21041)

What machine is this? What version of OpenFirmware (precisely)? What
video chipset? As what does NetBSD detect the video chipset (see
dmesg)?

With certain versions of OF, you may be completely hosed.

With others, it'll be necessary to go through some shenanigans
(maybe even hard reseting a few times when you reboot until the
monitor syncs) to use the built-in video hardware.

See:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#ofw-boot-serial

... but it may not help enough.

This isn't a very well documented point not because we've been lazy
about this documentation, but because there are a ridiculous number
of different OF chip behaviors. Providing some specifics on yours
would help give a clearer answer. (If you already did and I missed
it, I apologize.)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net