Subject: Booting newly installed 1.5.1_BETA2
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Brad Chapman <chapmanb@arches.uga.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/07/2001 14:57:06
Hello all;
I'm working on moving over my Mac to NetBSD from LinuxPPC -- I'm a big
fan of *BSD after running FreeBSD on a x86 system for a while, and
finally got up the courage (and time) to switch over. Before I start
with where I am currently stuck at, I want to give a quick thanks --
the docs/FAQ are really excellent for a mac/openfirmware wimp like
myself. I would still be staring in pain at the open firmware '0 >'
prompt if it wasn't for all of the excellent information I had to work
from.

In brief, I'm working to install 1.5.1_BETA2 on a dedicated SCSI hard
drive on my blue and white G3. I've gotten the installer to boot, done
the install, but am stuck at trying to get the installed NetBSD to
boot. So, I'm very close...

The longer version, I'm working with the following system:

=> blue and white G3 -- open firmware 3.1.1

=> 2 scsi hard drives
    -> one MacOS hard drive (the original with the machine) with
       path: /pci@80000000/@d/@4/@0:5

    -> one NetBSD hard drive (a purchased second drive) with path:
       /pci@80000000/@d/@2/@1:2

I downloaded ofwboot.xcf and boot.fs from 1.5.1_BETA2 and they're
placed at the top level of my MacOS drive. Using these, I successfully
booted the installer, and installed NetBSD on the second (NetBSD)
drive. The installation seemed to go smoothly. So, great!

The only abnormality was that the installer didn't seem to respect the
partioning on the NetBSD that I did with MacOS Drive Setup. Browsing
the archive, I found mention of PR 12631, which might be related to this:

http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=12631

But, after installing, the NetBSD drive looks like this according to
pdisk on the MacOS (I'm not sure why the NetBSD partition appears to
be 1024 gigs!):

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/scsi2.1' (/dev/sdb)
 #:                type name       length   base       ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple           2 @ 1
 2:       NetBSD/macppc NetBSD 2147483647 @ 4          (1024.0G)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=17930693 (8.6G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

So now, I'm trying to boot from this installed NetBSD and can't seem
to manage it. I did the following to boot from the ofwboot.xcf on my
MacOS drive and use the boot-file on the newly installed netbsd system:

setenv boot-device /pci@80000000/@d/@4/@0:5,ofwboot.xcf
setenv boot-file /pci@80000000/@d/@2/@1:2,/netbsd
setenv boot-command boot
reset-all

When I boot from this, it starts to boot, and I then get (in Open
Firmware):

method <close> not found: ihandle=0 phandle=0 open
/pci@80000000/@d/@2/@1:2,/netbsd: Device not configured

So, this is where I'm stuck. Looking at my NetBSD drive with 'words'
does show both 'open' and 'close.'

Could anyone offer any advice and give me a further push? I'll be
more than happy to supply any further info if needed!

Thanks for reading through all of this, and thanks in advance for any
help.
Brad