Subject: Re: no lost+found?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/07/2001 13:44:37
>>> newfs doesn't create a lost+found.
>> fsck will create a lost+found directory itself if it encounters
>> anything that it should put in there.
> In that case, isn't there a danger that fsck may overwrite
> recoverable blocks when it creates lost+found?

I don't think so.  fsck doesn't do anything that may involve linking
stuff into lost+found until phase 2 (Check Pathnames) and perhaps later
(such as phase 3, Check Connectivity); I think all recoverable blocks
should be found during phase 1 (Check Blocks and Sizes).

There *is* the danger that if the filesystem is absolutely full to the
top, there may not be any free space to create or extend lost+found.
But that is just as true of precreated lost+founds, though perhaps less
so since they are created with enough space to hold lots of entries.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign