Subject: Re: Console speed
To: Chris Tribo <ctribo@del.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/07/2001 08:37:14
On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Chris Tribo wrote:

:     Specifically, the problem isn't really writing things on the display,
: but scrolling. None, if any OpenFirmware video card drivers enable much 2D
: acceleration. If we had an accelerated raster console driver instead of
: using OpenFirmware, things would probably be a lot faster. (as well as
: allowing us to get rid of OFW once we've booted)
:
:     Most of the code for a raster console driver could probably be
: shamelessly acquired from Xwindows, LinuxPPC, or Darwin source, if one were
: so inclined, but there are other hurdles to overcome. i.e. the sheer number
: of different and often undocumented video chips Apple shipped on different
: revisions of the same motherboard.

It'd probably be possible to use the "vga* at pci?" attachment of wscons,
retaining the OFW console for a fallback in the case that the video chip
doesn't self-identify as VGA compatible....

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/