Subject: Re: Help with terminal
To: Mark Novak <mnovak@wpcnet.com>
From: John Valdes <valdes@uchicago.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/07/2001 02:27:09
On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 05:18:25PM -0500, Mark Novak wrote:

> I bought a mac "serial" cable, 8 pin on the Mac side and "normal" 25 pin on
> the other side and connected it between my Mac and my VT510.  I set up the
> VT as described the FAQ.
>
> I am still not getting anything.  Will a VT not work in this case, or do I
> need a different type of terminal?

What type of mac serial cable was that?  If it is intended for
attaching a Mac to an external modem, then you'll need a null modem
adapter.  A terminal's serial port is wired like the computer's
(technically, they're both DTE--Data Terminal Equipment--while a modem
is DCE--Data Communications Equipment), and so you need a "cross-over"
cable, eg, one that sends Transmit (Tx) on one end to Receive (Rx) on
the other, and so forth with the other signal lines.  A null modem
adapter will convert a "straight-through" modem cable into a
cross-over cable.

John