Subject: Re: Villagetronic? [was: Re: Brooktree support]
To: T@W <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@del.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/03/2001 00:48:45
on 6/1/01 10:52 AM, T@W at lsp93@xs4all.nl wrote:

> Although I've said in my previous mail that the ATI card would be the
> option for me, it turns out that it isn't:
> after quering some retailers/importers about ATI it emerges from them that
> Apple (will) make(s) less and less use of ATI.
> (ATI slowly but surely going out of the Applebusiness altogether? see also
> article below)

    Don't you think that's jumping the gun just a little bit? ATI has been
supplying chips to Apple for about 7 years in one form another. The article
you site does not seem to offer any indication that Apple will stop offering
ATI as an option for Mac hardware. What it says to me is that ATI is pooling
it's resources in chip design, which is where it _should_ be. They are doing
what nVidia and 3Dfx did, concentrate on design and allow other companies to
manufacture cards. And that would seem to open up more oppurtunity for a
wider variety of Mac compatible video cards at lower prices than we are
currently seeing.
    I know nothing of VillageTronic because they don't send their cards out
for review, and none of the catalogs I've seen have ever carried any of
their cards. I spent a long time contemplating wether or not to buy one of
their cards, but the lack of hardware reviews and abilty to try before you
buy shyed me away. They offered several boards with 3Dfx Voodoo chipsets on
them, some several hundred dollars cheaper than Mactell/etc. and had options
for video I/O.

    Just my 2cents

    Chris