Subject: Re: Brooktree support
To: Chris Tribo <ctribo@del.net>
From: T@W <lsp93@xs4all.nl>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/31/2001 22:20:59
Chris Tribo encoded:
>    On a related note, the ATI XClaim VR (64) Rage Pro based board has a
>Brooktree Bt829BKRF chip on it for video input and another chip for video
>output that I didn't catch. Perhaps a BSDer/Linux/Un*x user with developer
>access on ATI's web site could dig up the specifics for the ATI cards.
>    Brooktree (now Connexant) probably has docs available on their site to
>write a basic driver.
>    I don't know what any of the Miro boards use for digitizing, a friend
>of
>mine has a DC-20, I could ask him to see if he can find a label on the
>chip,
>but juding by the price of their cards, it's not something that you're
>going
>to find docs on. There's also the Auro Fuse and Ignitor capture cards, but
>don't know anything about them either.

Chris,

Many thanks, I've collected quite some info on all those cards you mention
and my findings are that indeed an ATI would be the option for the 9500,
although not as cheap as the PC version.
They also don't need to run on *nix because the drivers are there for MacOS.
XClaimVR is a product specially made for the Mac and now there's the
XCLaimVR128 ( you get the TVtunerbox with it).

But your mentioning that this card is based on the Brooktree chip should
make it interesting and easier for developers to port any card based on
those chips to *nix .

Brooktree and the Miro are mentioned on the XFree86 site as being supported
http://www.xfree86.org/cardlist.html
http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ/

Another interesting URL (although a little stale)
http://msproul.rutgers.edu/macintosh/

Cheers,
Touchwood