Subject: Re: sysint-failure to locate files
To: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
From: Daniel Lamblin <daniell@slithy.toves.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/30/2001 18:03:56
On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 10:31:44AM -0600, emanuel stiebler wrote:
> Todd marek wrote:
>
> >    I tried installing netbsd on my motorala starmax 3000/200 about a
> > month ago.  It was too much of a pain at the time so I just installed it
> > on an old 486 instead, figuring I could learn something about the os and
> > then come back to the mac.  Well I've come back.  Now I'm having a whole
> > new problem.
> >    Everything goes well untill I try to install the distribution sets.
> > I have a copy of the Wasabi Systems Cd, which keeps the sets base.tgz
> > and kern.tgz in the directory /macppc/binary/sets/.  I can verify this
> > on my other machine.  Whenever I try to unpack the distributions I get
> > the message that the sets can't be found in the directory.
> >    Any clues would be helpful and appreciated.
>
> Your problem is (My GUESS !), that sysinstall is looking/searching in
> the wrong directory ?

Probably.

The following sort of assumes you've not used/configured NetBSD before.

I'd try setting up all the partitions using sysinstall (you've probably done
that) then going to the utility menu, and running /bin/sh.

There you can mount_ffs /dev/[diskpartition] /mnt and any further relevent
ones like /mnt/usr (you won't need to worry about swap there).
Also mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0[or something] /mnt2
cd /mnt
pax -zrpe -f /mnt2/mappc/binary/sets/[base.tgz/kernel.tgz/system.tgz etc]

and you'd be pretty much set.  You'll probably also want man.tgz, at least.
Of course you won't have sysinst make you a valid /etc/fstab file nor will
you get any of the network configuration files made.  Those you can make by
hand.

I am a little confused because I don't know if the boot CD has vi or any
text editor on it. This would hinder your ability to make the files...
though something like:
echo "
/dev/sd0a	/	ffs	rw 1 1
/dev/sd0b	none	swap	sw 0 0
kern		/kern	kernfs	rw 0 0
proc		/proc	procfs	rw 0 0
" > /mnt/etc/fstab
might do the trick.

the network files (I think) are:
/etc/ifconfig.ae0 [where ae0 is replaced with whatever device name
  >ifconfig -a  gives you]
contents eg: "
inet 1.2.3.4 broadcast 1.2.3.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
"

/etc/mygate
contents eg: "
1.2.3.1
"
/etc/myname
contents eg: "
slithy
"
/etc/resolv.conf
contents eg: "
search toves.net wpi.edu
nameserver 1.2.3.2
"
ppp0 configuration is a bit more complicated... I think... I've never
tried it.

then you boot... and you should come up in single user mode.
here you'll want to:
mount -u -t ffs  [or something close, I think it reads from fstab, and
  updates the mount points so they are rw (as in fstab) instead of just r]
maybe its mount -urw -t ffs

Then you'll want to make a root password with passwd.
Then you'll want to vi /etc/rc.conf so that
rc_configured=YES rather than NO (to boot into multi-user mode next time)

There's some other configuration to worry about that should show up in
FAQs... but I don't think its critical now...
then "reboot".

-Daniel