Subject: Re: Documentation correction
To: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
From: Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars@larsshack.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/30/2001 11:20:34
> I tried Lars' suggestion on my Power Macintosh 8500, but it didn't
> work.  OpenFirmware complained that the string was too long.

Odd, on my 7300 this string appears to be "just the right length" (e.g.,
anything longer is too long).  You can change the wait time between boot
retries to free up one or two additional characters:

  setenv boot-command begin ['] boot catch 500 ms cr again
  setenv boot-command begin ['] boot catch 99 ms cr again

And see if that works.

Here's a question for the OF gurus -- what determines the maximum length
of an OF environment variable?  Obviously, some of them (such as nvramrc)
can hold a big chunk of text while others are severely restricted.

-- Lars

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars@larsshack.org>