Subject: Re: Booting G3 rev. A from external SCSI?
To: Christian Demmer <Christian.Demmer@gmx.de>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/29/2001 14:16:27
On Tue, 29 May 2001, Christian Demmer wrote:

> I am a completly new to BSD and UNIX in general, so please be patient
> if the problem is stupidity.

	No, the stupidity is on Apple's behalf for making shitty ROM and
OFW code.

> setenv boot-device scsi/sd@0:0
> and all I get is
>
> default catch: code FFF00700 AT %SRR0 FF85A92C %SRR1 00081070

	That is very bizzare, I've not seen this before and I have the
exact same configuration only with an ATI instead of IXmicro card.

	a.) are you using the latest version of system disk/startup disk?
	b.) is the HD spun up before you try booting off of it?
	c.) is your termination correct?
	d.) have you installed a G3/G4 ZIF CPU upgrade?

	If all of those seem to be ok, try axing out the system disk
nvramrc with "set-defaults" "setenv auto-boot? false" "setenv real-base
F00000" and "reset-all" then try "boot scsi/@0:0"

	I have seen old versions of SystemDisk actually prevent my G3 from
booting with the Rev B ROM. Unfortunately, now that I have OS X and MacOS
9.1, I use Startup Disk instead of SystemDisk, which I think installs
newer versions of the patchs that are Rev B ROM friendly. If you can't get
anything to work still, let me know and I'll post my nvramrc.

	Chris, who dislikes the Gossamer MB