Subject: Re: Serial Port
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Angus Davis <adavis2@rochester.rr.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/28/2001 12:32:46
On Monday, May 28, 2001, at 10:36  AM, Bob Nestor wrote:

> adavis2@rochester.rr.com
>
>>    I've been trying to get a modem attached to a serial port to work
>> for
>> a little while, and I haven't come to any conclusions except that I'm
>> very good at scratching my head.  Here's what's happening, When i use
>> either cu, or minicom I can send commands to the modem, and it will
>> happily do those commands, however, i don't get anything back from the
>> modem  (No echo or OK).  The modem is on tty01.  The console is on a
>> Video Card with kbd as input, I have checked my /etc/ttys and getty is
>> disabled on that port.  I have not added any serial port configuration
>> (I.E no stty -f /dev/tty01 etc).  I am thinking that i need to do
>> something with stty, but i can't figure out what. My machine is a Umax
>> C600 (Performa 6400 clone). The modem is an external Global Village
>> 33.6.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I've been searching for a console releated bug and have seen something
> strange in the serial port code between 1.4.3A and 1.5.  I assume you're
> running 1.5 and that would be consistent with some of what I think I've
> seen.  You might try the 1.4.3A snapshot and see if it acts differently.
> If so you might submit a PR.
>
> Hope this helps,
> -bob

Bob,
    I can't thank you enough for your swift reply.  I had been convinced
that it was a configuration problem. Switching to 1.4.3A was all around
not a pretty picture, however going to 1.5.1B2 got the port working like
a champ.

   On a totally unrelated topic, does anyone know of any utilities to set
NVRAM variables from within NetBSD?

Thanks again,
--Angus