Subject: Re: network card, video, serial port, and midi drivers
To: None <josh@ssimr.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/26/2001 11:15:56
At 1:58 PM -0400 5/26/01, josh@ssimr.com wrote:

:)I am curious about how I will upgrade when the next official
:)release comes out, but that's not why I'm writing.  I have some
:)questions about using peripherals.

It's just like installing, except you run the upgrader instead of the
installer.  It moves /etc to /etc.old, and you have to manually move your
settings back to /etc.  Everything else should be preserved (/home,
/usr/pkg, /usr/local, and so on).

:)switch.  It has nevered worked at 100baseT speed with the new device
:)as far as I can tell. I would like it to work at 100baseT.

Yeah, I never got the de driver to give me 100baseT speeds on my Asante
card either.

:)- Since I originally set it up wiht a 10baseT connection to my inhouse
:)network, I'm wondering if I need to change a network setting, if I
:)need to update the driver, if I need to install a different driver,
:)and how would I do it. How do I diagnose the problem.

Compile a new kernel with the TLP_MATCH options enabled.  This will let the
tlp ethernet driver find your card.  It seems to be much
faster/stable/better supported than the de driver.  I'm still not sure why
it's not the default.

:)video: I currently have a ATI Pro video card in my other PCI slot -
:)I'm not using it.

Does it have Open Firmware support (i.e. does it show up with "dev / ls")?
If so, you could probably use it as you console, Xmacppc, and (if you're
lucky) XFree86 (which has support for 16/24 bpp and resolution switching).

:)Has anyone used these for video or image capture.

AFAIK, no one has reported that they've gotten a NetBSD/macppc system to do
video capture using any device.

:)headless and get decent X server software to run on my iMac after I
:)upgrade it to OS 10 in a couple of months. ( the free M/IX with twm is
:)way to slow unless I configured things very very badly.)

Yeah, XonX seems to work pretty well for me.

:)serial port, and midi drivers:

Don't bother.  The serial ports are known to suck.  Someone just needs to
figure out how to fix them.

You may have better luck installing a USB card and getting a USB serial
adaptor.

Have fun,
  -- MW