Subject: Re: port-macppc/12894
To: port-macppc <port-macppc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/26/2001 11:31:34
The USB keyboard on early model G3s and iMacs stopped working after the
USB code was cleaned up sometime between 1.4.2 and 1.5.  There is an open
PR on this problem (12894) and I have discovered some additional behavour
that may help isolate the source of the bug.

Testing with -current (as of 5/25/2001) on a G3 with both ADB and USB
capability I have observed:

With both ADB and USB keyboards installed the ADB is dead during boot but
the USB is responsive, however both are dead after the system has booted
to the login prompt.

With only the ADB keyboard installed the ADB works during boot but is
dead after the system gets to the login prompt.  The USB keyboard is
usable if it is plugged in _AFTER_ the system gets to the login prompt.

With only the USB keyboard installed the USB works during boot but is
dead after the system gets to the login prompt.  The ADB is also unusable
if it is plugged in at this time.  Unplugging the USB and plugging it
back in produces the expected USB events which are logged on the console,
but the keyboard is still unusable.

It appears there is some undesired interaction between the ADB and USB
keyboard designation in the system.  Possibly some flag variable is
reversed?

Hope this helps someone with a better understanding of the code.  As
always I'm happy to test patches if anyone has an idea.

-bob