Subject: Re: cvs eof error when checking pkgsrc
To: Mike Bush <mike@closedbox.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/25/2001 16:08:21
On Wed, 23 May 2001, Mike Bush wrote:

> This seems to be normal if your using the pkgsrc from the ftp and
> updating with CVS.

Well, normal if you are trying to do rsh-based cvs. :-)

> try this (under bash):
> export CVS_RSH=ssh
> cvs update -P -d

Under (t)csh that's setenv CVS_RSH ssh

> Mike
>
> On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 04:34:26PM -0700, Jojo wrote:
> > ok, either i am stupid or there is something wrong with the description
> > om how to get cvs to checkout the pkgsrc tree to update it...
> >
> > I get:
> > cvs update -d -P
> > anoncvs.netbsd.org: Connection refused
> > cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
> >
> > i did setenv CVSROOT as desrcibed on teh page "Tracking NetBSD-current
> > with anoncvs"
> >
> > on cvs login i get:
> > cvs login: can only use pserver method with `login' command
> > cvs [login aborted]: CVSROOT: anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> > what am i doing wrong here?

There's no ":pserver:" in that declaration, so you're not doing
pserver-based cvs, so the login command doesn't do any good. That's what
cvs is trying to tell you.

I'd recomend using the ssh-based cvs you're now using. That way you can
easily tell if anyone tries to impersonate the anoncvs server (which is
why we have it set up that way). If someone does try to do something
naughty, ssh will complain.

Take care,

Bill