Subject: Re: RFC: 1.5.1 release notes
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Zeller <zeller@cif.rochester.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/24/2001 06:59:54
Howdy folks,

I've read through the install notes, and I'll be taking a stab at installing
this weekend onto my 8500 (yay! my cable modem is being installed today!).
Just one question, though, because I've read this passage about three dozen
times over and it still doesn't make any sense.  On page 18 the install
instructions (pdf format) say:

"OF 1.0.5:
You can use the instructions in this section to partition a disk that may
also be used with MacOS, although a disk prepared in this way
_will_not_boot_NetBSD_."

then...

"Make the following partitions:
HFS or HFS+ : Must be large enough to hold the bootloader, over 100 KB.
"

<confused>
So which one is it?  Do I need a HFS partition? (I don't want one, but if I
need one to hold the bootloader I'll make one.  But won't this mean that my
disk will not load NetBSD, according to the first comments?)
</confused>

tia,

Ben