Subject: Re: Editing nvramrc from within NetBSD?
To: Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars@larsshack.org>
From: Daniel Lamblin <daniell@slithy.toves.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/23/2001 02:47:35
On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 09:32:52PM -0400, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> I'd also like to take one last stab at the message subject -- is there any
> way to edit open firmware environment variables from within netbsd?

I guess it would be easy to say yes if one knew how, but hard to say no unless
one knew that of everything available for netbsd nothing addressed the nvramrc
issue.

I think I'm going to say no, there isn't, and I'll quickly explained where I
looked to come to that conclusion.

I clicked my way through netbsd macppc, sparc, sparc64, mve68k (Not clear on
spelling there).  and went through any nvram[rc] topics as links or in the
FAQ.
 I found only methods of using the open firmware console, or applications
 outside of netbsd

I searched the pkgsrc for anything that said nvram[rc]
  There are no such packages (unless the search doesn't work)

I google searched for netbsd and nvram[rc] and came up only with questions
much like yours in the archives.  One in the sparc port, had an answer (1999)
that stated that netbsd had no devices which could be used or a program could
use to access such internals as the nvram.

I then looked through release/change announcements from 1999 to 1.5.1 looking
to see if there were any mention of such a device capability being added to
either the macppc or sparc port.
  I came up with nothing.

I'm guessing its safe so say that the nvram[rc] cannot be edited from within
netbsd itself.  It seems like an odd oversight, but maybe, given the other
access methods and the frequency of use, it didn't seem a priority.

-Daniel