Subject: Editing nvramrc from within NetBSD?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars@larsshack.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/22/2001 16:25:33
Howdy,

I finally pulled my venerable 7300 out of storage and installed NetBSD on
it.  I've got a few questions I haven't been able to find answers to...

(1) Is it possible to access open firmware from within NetBSD?  Linux
    on sparc and macppc platforms exposes the open firmware device
    tree in /proc/openprom, making it very easy to change values and
    save/edit one's nvramrc.

    SunOS, at least, provided an 'eeprom' command for getting at
    open firmware values.

    Is there any way under NetBSD to view/edit open firmware settings?

(2) I was hoping that it was possible to net boot a PM7300.  Alas,
    the 7300 appears to be one of the machines that simply can't
    netboot -- it starts loading the kernel from the boot server and
    then dies with a "CLAIM failed".

    Is there anything that can be done to successfully netboot a
    7300?

Thanks,

  -- Lars

--