Subject: RE: GNU/Linux, NetBSD and Mac OS X
To: Hayden, Bill <BHayden@Exchange.WebMD.net>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/22/2001 10:43:58
At 1:14 PM -0400 5/22/01, Hayden, Bill wrote:

:)> :)- which NetBSD and/or GNU/Linux filesystems Mac OS X support ?
:)>
:)> BSD4.2 FFS, ext2fs, LFS, NFS, CD9660, and MSDOSFS.  There are
:)> tools that
:)> let you interact with HFS (not HFS+) filesystems, but it's
:)> not mounted like a normal filesystem.
:)
:)If you know a tool to mount ext2fs on MacOSX then I'd be surprised to hear
:)it.  On the darwin development list a few people have said they were going
:)to _start_ work it, but none actually have done so (that I know of).

My apologies, I misread the question as which filesystems does NetBSD support.

OSX # ls /sbin/mount_*
mount_afp
mount_cd9660
mount_cddafs
mount_devfs
mount_fdesc
mount_hfs
mount_mfs
mount_msdos
mount_nfs
mount_synthfs
mount_udf
mount_volfs
mount_webdav

That means the only overlapping filesystems are afp (thru netatalk), cd9660
(thru CD-R), hfs (thru hfstools), msdos (native), nfs (thru nfsd), and
webdav (thru apache).  I'm not sure what synthfs is.

This is why I've got the FAQ listing msdos as the suggested totally
cross-platform filesystem since it's the only one that you can use to share
files on one machine between OSes until NetBSD understands HFS.

  -- MW