Subject: GNU/Linux, NetBSD and Mac OS X
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org, debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org>
From: Edouard G. Parmelan <egp@free.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/22/2001 17:44:08
Hello,

I will enter "PowerPC side of the Force" in two weeks, and I will
install Mac OS X, NetBSD and GNU/Linux on an iBook G3/500.

I read various docs but I have few questions.

- Is someone already install NetBSD or GNU/Linux on an iBook G3/500 ?

- which NetBSD and/or GNU/Linux filesystems Mac OS X support ?

- can NetBSD and/or GNU/Linux access to Mac OS X filesystem ?

- can NetBSD use an ext2fs partition as / ?

- can GNU/Linux access to NetBSD FFS partition ?

- can NetBSD use the same swap partition that GNU/Linux ?

- GNU/Linux seem to need/require yaboot.  Can yaboot start NetBSD ?

- I have read that there is a Darwing version of BootX (that use Open
  Firmare).  Can this version start NetBSD, GNU/Linux and Mac OS X ?

[Debian]:  Should I use Potato r3 or Woody ?  If the answer is woody, is
there CD images somewhere ?

[NetBSD]:  How I can burn my own NetBSD-1.5.1_BETA2 CD ?  A simple rsync
of last snapshot or there are some magic features elsewhere ?

Which is the installation order ?  I have read that Mac OS X should be
install first, is it mandatory ?  And after, is NetBSD or Debian have
the same requirement ?

Thanks for your answers.
--
Edouard G. Parmelan