Subject: Re: Greetings, anyone try NetBSD on new ibook g3 500 mhz?
To: Jason <gee308@mediaone.net>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/18/2001 20:46:32
At 7:50 AM -0400 5/18/01, you wrote:

:)Hello, I'm new to the this list,

Hi!

:)  I just bought my first mac (ibook2) last week to try out OSX,

Do you mean the iBook (Dual USB)?  That is Apple's official designation of
the newest iBook model.

:)it is
:)currently not very useable,

RAM is very cheap nowadays.  Just buy yourself a 128 MB SO-DIMM and be happy.

:)the archives, but could not find any message of someone installing 1.5
:)onto the ibook2.  Any luck with it?  The supported hardware listalso
:)doesn't show the ibook2 (I'm hoping it just wasted update yet).

Nope -- you get to be the guinea pig if you so desire.  In any case, 1.5
will definitely not work with your keyboard.  You should be using the
1.5.1_BETA2 snapshot:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/macppc/snapshot/

It's in the final stages right now, so should be as stable as 1.5.1 will be
when it's released.

:)Another question, I don't know how the other macs work, but the new
:)ibook also doesn't have a cd eject key, instead the f12 key is used.

I don't know how you'd eject without MacOS.  It's possible that the Open
Firmware command 'eject cd' would work.  What do Powerbook G4 users do to
eject their CD-ROMs?

:)Are other macs like this, and if so, does NetBSD support this?  Also, is
:)"VGA out to monitor" supported?

Absolutely no idea.  It depends on whether it's a special function of the
video chipset, or if it just sends the same signals to the "VGA out to
monitor" as the LCD.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

  -- MW