Subject: Re: Installing 1.5 on mac G4 AGP getting me nuts !
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Browne <matthewb@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/18/2001 17:58:47
At 11:48 AM +1000 18/5/2001, Andrew White wrote:

>Are you trying to boot to install, or boot normally?

I'm trying to install, but I didn't think it was worth
going to much trouble till I saw it could actually boot
something. Currently, none of the kernels or boot.fs
will work.

>To install, copy ofwboot.xcf and boot.fs to the root of a HFS+ hard drive,
>and do:
>	boot hd:<p>,ofwboot.xcf hd:<p>,boot.fs

This does the same as booting the generic kernel. Same
messages exactly. After displaying info about the memory,
it just locks i.e.

CPU: Version ffff8000 (Revision 200)
Total memory = 512MB
Avail memory = 463MB
using 2867 buffers containing 26316KB or memory.

>where <p> is your partition number.  Note that the "first" partition could
>be as high as #9.

My first partition is number 6, I know this for certain but I have
tried others to no avail. Possibly mine is different to most because
I repartitioned the HD when I got the machine.

I'm beginning to wonder myself if it's an issue with the new
PPC 7450's. I assume no-one else here has tried booting on a
667Mhz or 733Mhz G4?

Matt Browne