Subject: Re: Installing 1.5 on mac G4 AGP getting me nuts !
To: <>
From: Andrew White <awhite@arc.corp.mot.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/18/2001 11:48:14
Matthew Browne wrote:

> At 8:37 AM -0700 16/5/2001, Michael Wolfson wrote:
> >At 7:24 PM +1200 5/16/01, Matthew Browne wrote:
> >
> >:)boot hd:,\netbsd.ram
> >:)
> >:)and for the regular kernel...
> >:)
> >:)boot hd:,\netbsd.generic
> >
> >Try:
> >boot hd:,ofwboot.xcf netbsd.ram.gz
> >
> >This works *must* more reliably than trying to boot the kernel directly.
>
> In that case, the boot loader works but it says it can't
> find netbsd.ram.gz. It's not that the file isn't there
> because it's there in both compressed and uncompressed
> form in the root of all my HFS/HFS+ partitions. I then
> get dropped at a boot prompt. It says it looked for both
> netbsd.ram.gz and
> /pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/@0:6/netbsd.ram.gz
>
> Note that my sixth partition (my first HFS/HFS+ partition)
> which this is looking for has all the files from the
> NetBSD installation directory in it's root.

Are you trying to boot to install, or boot normally?

To install, copy ofwboot.xcf and boot.fs to the root of a HFS+ hard drive,
and do:
	boot hd:<p>,ofwboot.xcf hd:<p>,boot.fs
where <p> is your partition number.  Note that the "first" partition could
be as high as #9.

Once everything else is set up, you should leave ofwboot.xcf at the root of
a HFS+ volume and have netbsd.ram at the root of a NetBSD volume.  You can
then boot your installed kernel using:
	boot hd:<p>,ofwboot.xcf hd:<p2>,netbsd.ram
where <p2> is your NetBSD partition number.

It IS possible to boot a netbsd kernel resident on an HFS+ volume, but you
get into all sorts of problems with keyboard drivers and whatnot once the
kernel loads, so don't do it.

For more info on how to do all this, see my post from 10 April 2001 titled
"Building a Dual (or Triple) Boot Cube - How I did it."

For the 1.5.1 release, Michael is hoping to get some of this functionality
into sysinst.

--
Andrew White                Andrew.E.White@motorola.com