Subject: Re: Installing 1.5 on mac G4 AGP getting me nuts !
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Browne <matthewb@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/17/2001 23:16:51
At 8:37 AM -0700 16/5/2001, Michael Wolfson wrote:
>At 7:24 PM +1200 5/16/01, Matthew Browne wrote:
>
>:)boot hd:,\netbsd.ram
>:)
>:)and for the regular kernel...
>:)
>:)boot hd:,\netbsd.generic
>
>Try:
>boot hd:,ofwboot.xcf netbsd.ram.gz
>
>This works *must* more reliably than trying to boot the kernel directly.

In that case, the boot loader works but it says it can't
find netbsd.ram.gz. It's not that the file isn't there
because it's there in both compressed and uncompressed
form in the root of all my HFS/HFS+ partitions. I then
get dropped at a boot prompt. It says it looked for both
netbsd.ram.gz and
/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/@0:6/netbsd.ram.gz

Note that my sixth partition (my first HFS/HFS+ partition)
which this is looking for has all the files from the
NetBSD installation directory in it's root.

>:)I've tried booting from a hybrid CDROM but with that it fails with
>:)a can't open device error and printing the device...
>:)
>:)/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/@0:6,\\:tbxi
>
>You're not specifying the right path to CD-ROM then, since if it tries for
>a \\:tbxi file, then it's trying to boot MacOS.  Try:
>boot cd:,ofwboot.xcf netbsd.ram.gz

That fails with the same problem. Same using ofwboot.elf too.
Again, the files are all in the root directory and for the
sake of completeness, in the root of the second session on
the CD. This time it can't find netbsd.ram.gz and
/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-3@20000/@0:0/netbsd.ram.gz

Booting netbsd.generic directly with

boot hd:,netbsd.generic

...prints out the following messages:

Console keyboard type USB
[Symboltable has bad start address 0x267ffb02]

<the standard boot up copyright message>

CPU: Version ffff8000 (Revision 200)
Total memory = 512MB
Avail memory = 463MB

using 2867 buffers containing 26316KB or memory.

At this point, booting stops and nothing else is printed.

Matt Browne