Subject: Re: RFC: 1.5.1 release notes
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Samuel Hornus <Samuel.Hornus@crans.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/15/2001 06:12:18
Le mardi 15 mai 2001, =E0 05:59, Chris Tribo a =E9crit :

> On Tue, 15 May 2001, Samuel Hornus wrote:
>> Working great. But still in single user mode because :
>> vi doesn't seem to be present (!!??) in the binary sets and I don't
>> know/want to use ed
>> to configure /etc/defaults/rc.conf and /etc/rc.conf
>
> 	That's because vi is in /usr and usr doesn't get mounted in =
single
> user. The procedure *I think* goes something like this:
>
> 1.) boot to single user
> 2.) "mount /"
> 3.) "mount /usr"
> 4.) "su"
> 5.) "tset vt220"
> 6.) "vi filename.ext"
> 7.) set root password
> 8.) set local timezone.
>  etc. etc.
>
> 	I haven't actually tried this in 1.5 or 1.5.X, so YMMV. Don't =
ask
> me why you have to su to change the terminal type, I've always =
wondered
> why myself, but just blindly accept it because it works.

Ooops, sorry to pollute the list !
No, I hadn't forgotten to mount /usr...
It's because I had not unpacked the packages properly.
Now it's done, and vi is there.
BUT a new problem arose !!!!!!!! :-)

boot in single user         [ NetBSD 1.5.1 BETA 2  ]
then
	mount -w -u /
and I get a marvelous SEG FAULT  :-)))
every attempt to 'mount'  do SEG FAULT

I'm tired now caus' no sleep during that night (i'm in France)
I'll get some sleep now. then try a fresh install (restarting from
MacOS9 partitioning) and let you know... but the segfault is really=20
strange.

--
Samuel Hornus.