Subject: Re: RFC: 1.5.1 release notes
To: Samuel Hornus <Samuel.Hornus@crans.org>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/14/2001 23:59:59
On Tue, 15 May 2001, Samuel Hornus wrote:

> > Strictly speaking, you don't need the HFS+ "boot partition" at all,
> > since
> > you can run the boot program (ofwboot.xcf) from the other HD or from
> > your
> > main HFS+ partition.  Just put a single HFS+ partition at the start of
> > the
> > drive and leave ofwboot.xcf at the top level (NOT on the desktop, which
> > is
> > actually a hidden subfolder of the top level).
>
> Working great. But still in single user mode because :
> vi doesn't seem to be present (!!??) in the binary sets and I don't
> know/want to use ed
> to configure /etc/defaults/rc.conf and /etc/rc.conf

	That's because vi is in /usr and usr doesn't get mounted in single
user. The procedure *I think* goes something like this:

1.) boot to single user
2.) "mount /"
3.) "mount /usr"
4.) "su"
5.) "tset vt220"
6.) "vi filename.ext"
7.) set root password
8.) set local timezone.
 etc. etc.

	I haven't actually tried this in 1.5 or 1.5.X, so YMMV. Don't ask
me why you have to su to change the terminal type, I've always wondered
why myself, but just blindly accept it because it works.

	Chris